MEDHU VADAI/URAD DAL VADAI
Medhu vadai is the most popular snack variety that is popular in southern part of India. This is a perfect tea time snack made urad dal along with flavor of g.chili,ginger,cumin and pepper. This vadai is most famous for its perfect shape and the hole. Also the medhu vadai can be also used to make sambar vadai,curd vadai etc..
Its made mostly on all the festivals and occasions. Also we made it without adding onions or shallots except for sambar vadai as its a main food during pooja. So thought of sharing in blog without onions. Lets look at the recipe of making medhu vadai.
Preparation Time : 10 mints | soaking time : 1 hr | Cooking Time : 30 mints | Makes : 15 - 20 vadas
Whole urad dal ( without skin ) – 1 cup Green chili – 1 Curry leaves – few finely chopped Cumin seeds / Jeera – 1/2 tspn Pepper – 1/2 tspn
Hing – a small pinch Salt – to taste Water – as required
1. Wash and Soak the whole urad dal for 1 hour . Drain the water completely . Grind it to a fluffy texture along with g.chili,ginger,pepper,salt and hing by sprinkling water little by little now and then.
2. Once the batter is ready, add chopped curry leaves and jeera to the batter, mix well . Heat oil in a kadai. Wet your right hand in water then make a small ball out of the batter and flat it with your thumb finger and make the hole at the center using the thumb finger and drop it in oil carefully ( If you making for first time then grease the Ziploc / milk cover with oil wet your right hand in water then make a small ball out of the batter and flat it on the greased cover , make hole in the middle then transfer it to hand then drop it in oil slowly). Try any of the method which you are comfort. Both will come only by practice.
3. Fry the vadai both sides by cooking in medium flame till its turns golden and bubbles reduces . Take out and drain the excess oil. Repeat the process to make all vada.
Hot and crispy vada is ready to serve.
My Notes :
1. Wet your right hand every time before making balls to avoid the sticky .Initially if your making vada do it with the covers . Then once you are convenient then try making in one hand.
2. Today i grinded batter using mixie. For better results grind the batter in the grinder. While grinding, add water little by little to get perfect crispy and soft vadas . If the batter becomes watery the vadas will drink more oil.
3. In case its little watery add a tbspn of rice flour to adjust the consistency. Dont add more rice flour it will be hard.
4. I grinded the pepper,ginger and g.chili with batter. if not you can finely chop and add to batter. Always prefer adding salt while grinding . Adding salt later will make vada watery.
5. Adding onions / shallots is optional, I mostly make this vada without onions. If doing it for sambar vadai then make it with onions.
#snacks #teatimesnacks #festivalitems #diwalirecipes #gokulashtamirecipes #medhuvadai #ulunduvadai #uraddalvadai #vadai #meduvadai #bhogirecipes #avaniavattamrecipes #pongalrecipes #ganeshchathurtirecipes #aadi18recipes