POTATO / URULAI KIZHANGU KURMA
Potato / Urulai Kizhangu kurma is a the perfect side dish variety that goes along with dosa , chapati , poori , peas pulao , ghee rice or with khuska rice. My Mom usually make this as side dish for coconut milk rice / thengai pal sadham and it taste amazing. Lets look at the method of making this kurma with step by step pics.
Preparation Time : 15 mints | Cooking Time : 30 mints | Serves : 4
Oil – 2 tbspn
Bay leaf - 1
Cloves - 3
Cinnamon - 1 inch piece
Cardamom - 1
Potatoes - 2 roughly chopped
Green Chili - 1 slited
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbspn
Big Onion - 1/2 cup finely chopped
Tomatoes - 1/2 cup finely chopped
Coriander leaves - few chopped
Turmeric - 1/4 tspn
Red Chili powder - 1 tspn
Coriander powder - 1 tspn
Garam masala - 1 tspn
Salt - to taste
Water as required
To Grind :
Coconut - 4 tbspn
Cashew - 3
Fennel seeds - 1 tspn
Pepper whole black - 1/2 tspn
1. Wash, peel the skin and cut potatoes into medium sized cubes. Grind the ingredients given under (to grind) to a fine paste with required water.
2. Cut coriander leaves , onions and tomatoes finely and slit green chili. Make the ginger garlic paste ready. Heat oil in a pressure pan, add cinnamon,cloves, bay leaf and cardamom. Saute for a second.
3. Add onions, green chili and saute till onions turns pink.Then add the ginger garlic paste. Cook for another minute. Then add the chopped tomatoes.
4. Add turmeric powder, chili powder, coriander powder and cook till tomatoes become mushy. Add the potatoes and saute for 2mints .Then add 1.5 cups of water.
5. Add required salt and mix well. Pressure cook for 2-3 whistles. Once the pressure subsides, open the pan, mix it well . Add the grinded coconut paste.
6. Add the garam masala and cook for 7 to 10 mints. Finally add the coriander leaves and switch off the flame.
Serve the hot kurma...!!
My Notes :
1. You can adjust the water according to the consistency preferred.
2. After adding garam masala and coconut paste cook till the raw smell goes.