Butter Murukku is the popular and traditional murukku variety that is made during festivals like diwali and krishna jeyanthi. This is a perfect tea time snack as its very light and crunchy . Also the flavor of butter and cumin seeds make the murukku more tastier. As i always prefer to have it as snacks, so made it into pieces . If you want you can make in chakli shape.There are many types of butter murukku which differs with the ratio of flour . This is my way of making this murukku. Lets look at the steps of making this murukku.
Preparation Time : 15 mints | Cooking Time : 30 mints | Serves : 3 - 4
Rice flour - 1 cup
Besan flour / kadalai maavu- 2 tspn
Pottu kadalai maavu/ roasted gram dal flour - 3 tspn
Butter - 2 tspn
Jeera/ sesame seeds - 1 tspn
Hing - 1/4 tbspn
Salt - As needed
Oil - To deep fry
1.Add the roasted gram to the blender and grind it to a fine powder .Dry roast besan flour and rice flour for a min until nice aroma is released. Add 3 tbspn of grinded gram flour , rice flour and besan flour together and sieve it to eliminate the coarse particles.
2. Mix all the sieved flours together and add the cumin seeds,butter and salt.Mix it well once for even distribution. This steps helpds to get the murukku crispy.
3..Add water little by little to form a smooth dough . Take your murukku mould and place the three star shape disc inside it.Grease the murukku with little oil and fill it up with a lemon sized dough and close it.
4. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed kadai . Test the oil by adding a pinch of dough and if it raises immediately then the oil is hot enough to fry the murukku. Hold the press and mould, on the top of the oil. Gently apply force to the press squeeze out the dough out of the mould.
5. Gently turn the murukku when one side if the murukku is fried and allow it to fry the other side. Remove the fried butter murukku and place it in tissue to drain the excess oil.
Serve the hot butter murukku with a cup of coffee or tea..!
My Notes :
1. Do not over crowd while squeezing .
2. I used store brought rice flour today . If needed you can use home made flour too.
3. Knead the dough to a correct consistency. If its too dry it will break.
4. Instead of cumin seeds also add sesame seeds.