Shahi Paneer is a tasty and delicious North Indian curry made with paneer (Indian cottage cheese) and onion tomato based gravy along with the flavor of almonds,cashew and melon seeds. Addition of curd and fresh cream gives a glossy texture the gravy. It is served with roti, naan, rice or other indian breads.
Today i did not use melon seeds as i did not get it here. If available you can add that seeds along with the badam and cashew. Lets look at the method of making this paneer gravy.
Preparation Time : 10 mints | Cooking Time : 30 mints | Serves : 3 - 4
Onion - 1 medium sized roughly chopped
Tomato - 2 Roma tomato roughly chopped
Cashew - 6 whole
Almonds / Badam - 5
Garlic - 3 cloves
Ginger - 1 inch piece
Oil - 2 tbspn
Cinnamon stick - 1 piece
Bay leaf - 1
Cloves - 3
Cardamom - 1
Turmeric - 1/4 tspn
Chili powder - 1 tspn
Coriander powder - 1 tspn
Cumin powder - 1/2 tspn
Garam masala - 1/4 tspn
Cardamom powder - pinch
Curd - 1-2 tbspn
Fresh Cream - 2 tbspn
Salt - to taste
Paneer - 200 grams ( cut into cubes )
Water - 1/2 cup
Chopped almonds and Saffron - for decoration
1. Add the chopped onion , tomatoes , ginger and garlic along with cashews and almonds to the pressure cooker. Add water to it and cook it for two whistle. Instead you can also blanch all.
2. Allow it to cool down then transfer it to a mixer jar by straining the water.Grind it to a fine paste.Use the strained water to wash blender. Heat oil in a pan and add the whole spices let it sizzle then add turmeric , red chili powder.
3. Mix well then add the grinded paste. Then wash the blender with strained water and added . Let it boil in low flame for 3 mints.
4. Then add all the spice powders( coriander powder , cumin powder , garam masala , cardamom powder )along with required salt. Cook until the mixture becomes thick and the raw smell goes.
5. Take 2 tbspn of curd and beat well. Now add the beaten curd to the gravy.
6. Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes,now add the fresh cream. Add water if required . Give a gentle mix and let the gravy boil for 5mints.
7. Add paneer cubes ,mix well cook for 2mins then switch off the flame.
Garnish and Serve the shahi paneer..!!
My Notes :
1. Today i did not use melon seeds as i did not get it here. If available you can add that seeds along with the badam and cashew.
2. Instead of pressure cooking you can also blanch.
3. If needed you can add saffron to the gravy, but i just used to garnish.
4. You can also skip tomatoes and make a white gravy . I like to have tomatoes my gravy.