Adai is a south indian breakfast recipe which is made of lentils and rice along with the chili . This is a healthy and most filling tiffin recipe . It can be served along with aviyal, chutney, jaggery , curd and butter. This can also be made using the chopped drumstick leaves to make the adai more healthier. Lets look at the steps of making this adai recipe.
Preparation Time : 5 mints | Soaking Time : 3 - 4 hrs | Cooking Time : 45 mints | Makes : 8 adai
Raw rice / Sona masoori rice - 1/2 cup
Par Boiled rice / Puzhungal Arisi - 1/2 cup
Toor dal - 1/2 cup
Channa dal - 1/4 cup
Moong dal - 1/4 cup
Urad dal - 1 tbspn
Green chili - 1
Red chili - 3
Ginger - 1 small piece
Hing - 1/4 tspn
Onion - 1/4 cup chopped
Coriander leaves - 2 tbspn chopped
Curry leaves - 2 tbspn chopped Salt - as required
Oil - for making adai
1. Wash and soak rice and dhal separately for 3 - 4 hrs . Also soak the ginger , g.chili , red chili in a small bowl for 3 hrs.
2. Add the g.chili , ginger , red chili along with soaked water to the blender and grind it. Then add the rice to it and grind it to a coarse paste. Transfer it to a mixing bowl.
3. Add dal along with salt and hing to blender and use the pulse mode to grind this dal coarsely. Then add the dal mixture to the mixing bowl.
4. Mix both the rice and dal well and set aside. Rest the batter for 2 hours for fermentation. Before making adai,add the chopped onions,coriander,curry leaves and mix well. Adjust water as needed and the batter is now ready.
5. Heat a griddle or a non stick tawa and pour a ladle of batter and spread it in circular motion. Drizzle a tsp of oil around the adai. Make a small hole in the middle drizzle little oil on the holes also. Let it get cooked. Once cooked, flip it to the other side and drizzle another tsp of oil around the adai. Let it get cooked. After both sides are cooked well, remove from tawa. Repeat the process to make all adai.
Serve & Enjoy the adai with jaggery and aviyal...!!
My Notes :
1. You can rest batter for 2 hours for fermentation or make dosa immediately. But making the fermenting adai yields better result.
2. The batter should be thicker than our idly dosa batter. So adjust the water as needed.
3. Instead of onions you can use shallots. Also use the chopped drumstick leaves to make the adai more healthier.
4. Also you add 2 tbspn of grated coconut along with onion and make adai.
5. You can refrigerate the rest of the batter. The batter stays good for 2-3 days if coconut is not added to it.
#adairecipe #adaidosai #dosavarieties #adaiaviyal #lentilsdosa #breakfastrecipes #tiffinrecipes #dinnerrecipes