BEETROOT KOLA URUNDAI / BEETROOT BALLS
Kola Urundai is a popular chettinad snack or side dish variety that is traditionally made with meat. Bored of making vadai and thought of making this urundai with beetroot. This is similar to the vadai but adding of coconut and grinded onion garlic paste gives this dish a nice flavor. This is suitable to make with the leftover beetroots.
It can be served along with sambar , rasam or rice. Lets look at the steps of making this kola urundai.
Preparation Time : 20 mints | Cooking Time : 30 mints | Makes: 15 balls
Toor dal - 1/4 cup
Channa dal - 1/4 cup
Water- for soaking dal
Salt - 1 tspn
Turmeric - 1/2 tspn
Onion - 1/4 cup
Garlic - 1/4 cup
Sombu - 1 tspn
Cumin seeds - 1 tspn
Red chili - 2
Coconut - 4 tbspn
Grated beetroot - 1 cup
Roasted gram dal - 2 tbspn
Oil - for deep frying
1. Wash & Soak both the toor dal and channa dal together for minimum 1 hour. Then drain the water completely.
2. Drain the soaked dal along with salt and turmeric .Grind it in a mixie jar using pulse mode . Do not add any water. The mixture will be coarse after grinding. Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl. Add in the onion, red chilies, fennel seeds, cumin seeds and garlic. Grind the without adding any water.
3. Then add the fresh shredded coconut and grind it coarsely. Transfer the mixture to the bowl along with dal paste. Then add the grated beetroot.
4. Mix well. Take 2 tbspn of roasted gram dal in a blender to a fine powder . Add it to the bowl & Mix well.
5. Divide it into equal sized balls. Heat the oil for deep frying. Once oil is hot drop the balls into it slowly. Cook the oil in low flame.
5. Cook all sides by turning at regular intervals. Once done remove from oil and add it to the paper towels . Repeat the process to cook all balls.
Beetroot balls are ready to serve.
My Notes :
1. Dont add any water while grinding. The water from soaked dal,coconut,onion is enough to make balls.
2. If needed you can add chopped curry leaves and coriander leaves.
3. Instead of beetroot you can also try with vazhaipoo(banana flower). If so grind the vazhaipoo along with coconut once then add.
4. Add more roasted gram flour if you cant make balls.
5. Increase the coconut if needed as per your taste.
6. Instead of red chili can also add the green chili.
7. The mixture may not be so coarse like vadai . But you can able to make balls.