VAZHAIPOO VADAI / BANANA FLOWER VADAI - NO ONION GARLIC RECIPE.
Vazhaipoo vadai is also called as Banana flower vadai. This is similar to the type of masala vadai. It can be had as a teas time snack or also it goes well as side dish for meals or variety rice. Banana Flower is more healthier one and using this in vadai will be liked by kids too. Usally we make usili or kootu with banana flower.
I tasted this vadai for first time in college days and then i am a big fan of this vadai. Once the vazhaipoo cleaning is done then we make this vadai easily. Today i made this without onion.
Here is the steps to CLEAN VAZHAIPOO.
Lets look at the recipe of making this vadai.
Preparation Time : 30 mints | Cooking Time : 30 mints | Makes : 20 vadai
Vazhaipoo Chopped - 1 1/2 cups
Channa Dal - 1 cup
Green chili - 2
Ginger - 1 inch
Salt - to taste
Turmeric - 1/4 tspn
Water - as required
Curry leaves - few
Coriander leaves - few
Oil - For deep frying
1. Clean the vazhaipoo and immerse the chopped vazhaipoo in butter milk. Soak the channa dal in water for two hours. Drain the water completely. Then add it to the blender along with g.chili,salt,ginger,turmeric and grind it to a coarse texture. Squeeze the butter milk from the vazhaipoo and add 3/4 of the vazhaipoo to the blender and pulse once or twice along with dal.
2. Transfer the grinded mixture to the bowl and add the remaining chopped vazhaipoo,curry leaves and coriander leaves. Mix well and make into equal sized balls. Heat the oil . Once the oil is hot flatten the balls and drop them in oil.
3. Keep the flame in medium and cook by turning both sides. Once the bubbles stops and vadai is done remove from oil and transfer to paper towels to strain excess oil. Repeat the process to make all vadai.
Vazhaipoo vadai is ready to serve.
My Notes :
1. I did not add onion to this recipe. If you want you can go head and add it.
2. If you like sombu you can add while grinding.
3. Cook the vadai in medium flame,so that the vadai cooks well.
4. As we add the raw banana flower it takes time to cook. If you want you can cook the flower separately and add removing the water.
5. Adding maximum vazhaipoo and little directly will helps to get crispy vadai.
6. Use less oil for deep frying since vazhaipoo will gives little bitterness reusing oil is difficult . So deep fry with minimum oil.
#vazhaipoovadai #bananaflowervadai #bananaflowerrecipes #masalavadai #paruppuvadai #vadai #kadalaparuppuvadai #snacks #teatimesnacks