Appam is the traditional south Indian festival item that is made during many special occasions like Krishna jeyanthi , Avania vattam, Karthigai deepam . It is made by raw rice and jaggery. It can be also had as evening snacks. It is made by either deep frying in oil or in the paniyaram pan . Lets see how to make appam by deep frying.
Preparation Time:15 mints | Soaking Time : 1 hour | Cooking Time : 30 mints | Serves: 20 nos
Raw rice - 1 cup
Jaggery - 3/4 cup
Cardamom - 1 tspn
Grated coconut - 4 tbspn
Water - as needed
Oil - for deep frying
1. Wash the rice well and Soak the raw rice in water for 2 hours. After that drain the water and add it to the mixer and blend it to a smooth paste. Use very less water while grinding.
2. Add the jaggery in a sauce pan with tbspn of water and cook until the jaggery dissolves. Filter the dissolved jaggery and add it to the rice mixture and mix well.
3. Add the coconut and cardamom powder to it and ix well. Now the batter is ready. Check for the correct consistency.
4. Heat the oil and once its hot. Pour the mixture to it with small ladle(kuzhi karandi). Pour the hot oil on top with a spoon. So that the appam will puff up.
5. Then fry it on both sides and remove from oil once the bubbles reduced. Strain the excess oil. Repeat the process to make all appam.
Now the appam is ready for serving...!
If the appam batter is too watery u can add the wheat flour and adjust the consistency.
You can also add ripen banana to the batter to enhance the flavor and taste.
I did not add cooking soda if you want add that too.. its optional.
You can also do it in appam pan instead of deep frying.
Use grinder for best results.