Vegetable Kurma is a famous south Indian dish that can be made of mixed vegetables cooking in onion tomato gravy along with coconut paste and indian whole spices. This is a perfect accompaniment for chapati,poori and paratha varieties. It can also be had with white rice or with the plain pulao. You can add vegetables of your choice to make this kurma.
Preparation Time:15 mints| Cooking Time : 40 mints|Severs: 4
Oil - 1 tbspn + 2 tbspn
Cinnamon stick - 1inch
Cardamom - 1 pot
Cloves - 2
Star Annis - 1
Bay leaf - 1
Cumin seeds - 1 tspn
Fennel Seeds - 1tspn
Coconut - 4tbspn
Cashew - 2
Poppy seeds - 1tspn
Ginger - 1inch piece
Garlic - 3 cloves
Onion - 1 cup roughly chopped
Tomato - 3/4 cup roughly chopped Mixed Vegetables - 1 cup
Coriander leaves - a fistful
Salt - 1tbspn
Red chili powder - 1tbspn
Garam masala - 1tspn
Turmeric - 1/4tspn
Water - as required
1. Take coconut,cashew,fennel seeds,poppy seeds and soak it in a hot water for 15 mints. Then grind to a fine paste.Chop the mixed vegetable of equal size to 1 cup. I used carrot , beans ,potato and peas today.Pressure cook to 2 whistle.
2.Heat a pan with a tbspn of oil and add cinnamon,cloves,cardamom,star Annis, g.chili,ginger,garlic.Then add the onion saute till its transparent. Then add tomatoes and cook till its soft and marshy.
3. Once its cool down add it to the blender and grind it to a paste.Then in pan heat 2 tbspn of oil add the bay leaf and cumin seeds.Allow it to pop then add the grinded onion tomato paste,salt, red chili powder,garam masala and turmeric.
4. Mix well the spices and cook until raw smell goes . Then add the vegetables & mix well. Once it starts to boil add the grinded coconut paste and mix gently.
5. Allow it to cook well . Once done add the coriander leaves and turn off the stove.
Now its ready to serve with roti or paratha.
My Notes :
1. I cooked vegetables in pressure cooker by keeping vessel.So cooked for two whistle. If you are cooking directly then go for one whistle.
2.You can make this gravy with the vegetables of your choice like cauliflower , turnip etc..
3. I used dried peas so soaked for 5 hrs and pressure cooked it. If you are using fresh peas or frozen peas you can add directly to gravy.
4. Instead of big onions you can add shallots too.