SORAKKAI / BOTTLE GOURD KURMA
Lauki / Bottle gourd / Sorakkai Kurma is a mild curry/gravy made of coconut and cashew nut paste. It is a healthy and easy side dish accompaniment for Roti, Chapati etc. You can also make this gravy with other vegetables like turnip, chow chow etc.. Lets look at the method of making this gravy.
Preparation time: 10 mints | Cooking time: 20 mints | Serves: 4
Oil - 4 tbspn
Cumin Seeds - 1 tspn
Bottle gourd - 1.5 cup Chopped
Onion - 3/4 cup finely chopped
Tomato - 1/2 cup finely chopped
Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tbspn
Salt - To taste
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tspn
Red Chili Powder - 1/2 tspn
Coriander Powder - 1/2 tspn
Grated Coconut - 1/4 cup
Poppy Seeds - 1 tbspn
Cashews - 4
Green Chili - 2
Cloves - 4
Cardamom - 1
Peppercorns - 1/4 tspn
Cinnamon Stick - 1 inch tspn
Star Annis - 1
1. Add the poppy seeds, whole spices, pepper, g.chili and cashews to blender and soak in hot water for 10 minutes. Then add the grated coconut to the blender.
2. Grind it to a fine paste. Wash, peel and chop the bottle gourd into small cubes and set it aside. Heat a cooker, add oil. Add cumin seeds and allow it to sputter. Add chopped onion to it.
3. Saute till they are transparent. Then add the ginger garlic paste. Cook for 3 mints. Add chopped tomato and saute till they are mushy. Add ground masala to it.
4. Stir well. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and salt . Mix well. Add chopped bottle gourd and 1 Cup water to it. Mix well.
5. Close the cooker and pressure cook it for 3-4 whistle. After the pressure is fully released, mix well.
Serve the Kurma with Roti..!!
1. You can also try with other vegetables like ridge gourd (peerkangai), chayote squash (chow chow), turnip or pumpkin.
#sorakkaikurma #bottlegourdkurma #laukikurma #sorakkaigravy #gravies #sidedish