KADAI MUSHROOM MASALA / GRAVY
Kadai Mushroom Masala / Gravy is a popular side dish made of sauteed mushrooms , onion and capsicum cooked in onion and tomato based spicy gravy. It goes well with chapatis, parathas and pulao varieties. This is made with the freshly grounded masala.
As this gravy is made in indian kadai / wok its called as kadai masala. Using the same masala we can also prepare subji with paneer or mixed vegetables. Lets look at the steps of making this gravy.
Preparation Time : 15 mints | Cooking Time : 25 mints | Serves : 3
Button Mushroom - 1 cup cleaned and sliced
Onion - 1/3 cup cubed Capsicum - 1/3 cup cubed Onion - 1/2 cup finely chopped Ginger-garlic paste - 1 tspn Tomato - 2 Fresh Cream - 2 tspn Oil - 4 tbspn
Cumin seeds - 1 tspn
Salt - as needed Kashmiri Chili powder - 1/2 tspn
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tspn
Dry Kasuri methi - 1 tspn
Water - as needed
For Kadai Masala Powder : Coriander seeds - 1 tbspn Cumin seeds - 1/2 tspn Red Chilies - 2 Whole Black Peppercorns - 1/4 tspn Cloves - 3 Cinnamon - 1 inch piece Cardamom - 1
1. Dry roast coriander seeds, cumin seeds, whole black peppercorns, red chilies, cloves, cinnamon, and cardamom together. Grind to a fine powder.
2. Heat 2 tbspn of oil in a pan and saute the cubed onions .Then add capsicum saute until half cooked and onions becomes translucent . Remove from pan.
3. In the same pan, saute mushrooms until all the water from the mushrooms evaporate and it turns light brown.
4. Chop the tomatoes roughly and add it to the blender. Grind it into a puree. Heat 2 tbspn of oil in a pan, add cumin seeds allow it to sizzles.
5. Add finely chopped onions. Saute until onions turn golden brown. Add ginger garlic paste and saute until the raw flavor of the ginger garlic goes. Add turmeric powder, chili powder to it.
6. Mix well then add the tomato puree,salt and grinded kadai masala.Cook until the mixture oozes out oil.
7. Then add the cubed onions, capsicum, mix well and cook for 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, mix well and cook for 3 - 5 minutes.
8. Add required water and simmer until the gravy thickens and leaves oil. Make sure the capsicum is cooked. Add cream and cook for a further few minutes. Rub kasuri methi between your palms and turn off the flame.
Serve the mushroom kadai masala with chapatis..!!
My Notes :
1. Instead of adding tomato puree you can even finely chop the tomatoes and add it.
2. I added Kashmiri chili powder just for the color.
3. Increase or Decrease the red chilies in kadai masala as per your taste.
4. Instead of cream you can use curd.
#kadaimasala #kadaimushroommasala #kadaimushroomgravy #kadaimushroomsubji #gravies #sidedish