Pesarattu dosa is a simple and healthy breakfast / tiffin variety which is very easy to make. This is a popular tiffin in andhra and usually served with Ginger chutney / Allam pachadi. It can also served with coconut chutney or idli podi. This dosa batter is made of grinding the green gram dal along with rice,spices. It is nutritious and very heavy tiffin. Lets look at the steps of making this dosa.
Preparation Time : 15 mints | Soaking Time : 8 hours | Cooking Time : 40 mints | Makes : 8 dosa
Whole Green gram - 1 cup
Raw rice - 1 tbspn
Onion - 1/2 cup roughly chopped
Ginger - 1 inch piece
Cumin seeds - 1 tspn
Green chilies - 3
Salt to taste
Water - as required
Oil - to make dosa
Onion - 1/2 cup finely chopped ( for topping on dosa )
1. Wash and soak the green gram dal and rice together for 8 hours.
2. After 8 hours drain the water grind in a mixer along with onion, cumin seeds, green chilies, ginger and needed salt to a smooth paste. No need to ferment the batter. Now batter is ready to make pesarattu.
3. Heat a tawa and when its hot pour a ladle full of pesarattu batter to the tawa and make dosa. Add the oil on sides. Sprinkle some chopped onions on the top and pat gently with a spatula. After it gets cooked, flip it over to the other side, drizzle a little oil and cook until done.
Serve the hot pesarattu dosa with inji chutney or coconut chutney.
My Notes :
1. No need to ferment the batter.
2. Adding chopped onions on top is optional.
3. You can also add few curry leaves and coriander leaves while grinding batter.