Vegetable Makhani / Makhanwala is a popular north indian mixed vegetable gravy . This is a rich & creamy gravy served with naan,roti,kulcha,pulao. It also taste excellent with plain rice. This is made with mixed vegetables,cashew paste in a tomato gravy along with the spices and fresh cream. This is the common side dish which we order in restaurants next to paneer and mushroom gravy. Today lets look at the steps of making this gravy.
Preparation Time : 15 mints | Cooking Time : 30 mints | Serves : 3 - 4
Butter – 4 tbspn
Bay leaf – 2
Carrot – 1
Beans – 6
Potato – 1
Green peas – 1/3 cup ( Dried )
Cauliflower – 6 florets
Tomato – 3
Ginger Garlic paste – 1 tbspn
Cashew nuts – 15
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tspn
Red chili powder – 1 tspn
Pepper powder – 1/2 tspn
Cumin powder – 1/2 tspn
Garam masala powder – 1/2 tspn
Kasoori methi – 1 tspn
Cream – 1/4 cup
Sugar – 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves - few chopped
Salt – As needed
Water – As required
1. Soak the cashews in hot water for 30 mints. Chop the carrot,potato and beans lengthwise. Cut the cauliflower into florets. Soaked the dried peas for 12 hrs. Combined all the vegetables together. Blanch the tomatoes with 1 cup of water.
2. Allow the water and tomatoes to boil for 10 mints till the skin peels. Strain the water and cool the tomatoes. Peel the skin of tomatoes once cool down.
3. Add the peeled tomatoes to the blender and make it into puree. Add the soaked cashew to the blender and grind it to a fine paste.
4. Pressure cook the vegetables for 1 whistle with little water on a medium to high flame. Heat a tbspn of butter and toss the cooked vegetables to get the butter to coat well.
5. Once done transfer the vegetables to a bowl. In same pan heat 3 tbspn of butter once hot add the bay leaf and ginger garlic paste.
6. Give it a fry until raw smell goes. Add the turmeric powder and mix well. Then add the grinded tomato puree and cashew paste to it.
7. Mix well . Add the red chili powder,cumin powder and pepper powder. Mix well, cook till the raw smell goes and the gravy becomes glossy. Then add the garam masala and kasoori methi.
8. Mix well and cook for 3-5 mints. Add the tossed vegetables,salt,sugar and 1/4 cup of water to it. Mix well and cook for 2mints.
9. Add cream in low flame and mix well. Cook for a min and add chopped coriander leaves at this stage. Turn off the flame.
Serve the Vegetable Makhani with hot roti.
My Notes :
1. Instead of grinding the soaked cashew with water , you can grind it with milk.
2. I pressure cooked the vegetables for 1 whistle. But usually the vegetables are steamed. You can do any method you wish. But make sure vegetables are not marshy.
3. Instead of blanching tomatoes you can also chop and saute the tomatoes. Then make puree of it.
4. Sauteing the vegetables in butter is optional.
5. Instead of butter you can use oil or ghee.
6. You can also add pepper powder at last before adding coriander leaves.
7. You can also add capsicum and mushrooms. If so add it while sauting in butter and cook it. Then addd the boiled vegetables aand mix well.