Cabbage Pakoda / Pakora is the most popular and a crispy snack variety in south India. This is a perfect tea time snack and also it taste delicious to have it with variety rice and south indian meals.
This is similar to the traditional pakoda recipe but added only little onion and added sliced cabbage to it. This gives you more crispy pakoda. It is very easy and made very quickly. Lets look at the steps to prepare this pakoda.
Preparation Time : 10 mints | Cooking Time : 30 mints | Serves : 3-4
Besan flour - 3/4 cup
Rice flour - 1/4 cup
Cabbage - 1 cup ( sliced / shredded)
Onion - 1/4 cup ( sliced / shredded)
Curry leaves - few chopped
Cilantro - few chopped
Turmeric - 1/4 tspn
Salt - 1 tbspn
Red chili powder - 1 tspn
Hing - 1/4 tspn
Garam masala - 1/2 tspn
Water - 4 tbspn
Oil - 1 tbspn + for deep frying
1. In a bowl, add the besan flour, rice flour, chili powder, turmeric , garam masala . salt and hing. Mix well the add the cabbage , onion , curry leaves and coriander leaves . Mix well by crushing the vegetables well with the flour.
2. Add the water little by little and mix well. After mixing, it will be as shown in the picture. Heat the oil and add a tbspn of hot oil to the batter and mix well. Once the oil is hot ,reduce the heat to medium. Take a little prepared pakoda batter and drop it into the oil.
3. Fry the pakoras until golden brown , by stirring in between often.
4. Once the pakoras turns golden , remove it from the oil and drain excess oil on a paper towel.
Serve the crispy pakoras with hot tea..!!!
My Notes :
1. Cut onions and cabbage thinly lengthwise or you can also shred.
2. Add the water little by little to get the perfect batter consistency.
3. Adding a tbspn of hot oil to the batter helps to make the pakoda more crispy .
4. Do not make balls or shape it, this pakoda should be shapeless. Make it as balls will take more time to cook and will not be crispy.