PARUPPU POLI / PURAN POLI / OBATTU
As this is my 100th recipe in my blog , i thought of sharing a sweet recipe with u all . Paruppu Poli is a popular traditional south indian sweet . This is a type of flattened sweet bread . It is also called as puran poli or obattu. This is made of channa dal and jaggery stuffed in maida dough and make it as bread. This is made during special occasions such as bhogi , avania vattam. Lets look at the recipe of making it.
Preparation Time : 25 mints | Cooking Time : 30 mints | Serves : 12 poli
Maida - 1 cup flattened
Channa dal - 3/4 cup heaped
Coconut - 1/4 cup
Jaggery - 3/4 cup
Cardamom powder - 1 tbspn
Sesame oil - 5 tspn + for flattening
Ghee - as required
Turmeric - 1/2 tspn
Salt - a pinch
Water - as required
1. In a mixing bowl take the maida,salt,turmeric, 3 tspn of sesame oil and make it to a soft dough . Then add 2 tbspn of oil and allow to rest the dough for minimum 2 hours on the counter top. Then dry roast the channa dal slightly until the aroma comes.
2. Then add the water that is required to soak the channa dal and rest it for 15 mints to soak. Then after 15 mints drain the water and pressure cook the channa dal for two whistle with minimum water. The texture of the cooked channa dal should be not marshy. If you press in hand it should break.
3. Then drain the water completely from channa dal and add it to blender along with jaggery and cardamom . Pulse it to one or two times . Then add the coconut and again pulse it for twice or thrice. The stuffing/puranam is ready . Make the dough and puranam into equal sized balls. The puranam balls should be slightly bigger than the dough for better taste.
4. Take a dough flatten it with fingers by applying sesame oil. Keep the puranam and cover it well with dough. Then again flatten it as round shaped by applying oil in fingers.
5. Put the flattened poli on the dosa tawa and cook it both the sides by topping with ghee.
Now the puran poli is ready to serve.
My Notes :
Adding oil to the dough for resting is to avoid the dryness and make it flexible. So don't skip this.The dough should rest to the minimum of 2 hours and maximum of 5 hours for better results.
Roast the channa dal slightly. Dont make it to turn brown.I did pressure cooking by keeping channa dal in a vessel. If you keep dal directly then one whistle is enough.Dont make the channa dal marshy.If you not confident in pressure cooking you can make it in open pan also.
If the puranam became watery then heat a nonstick kadai and add 2 tbspn of ghee and the puranam mixture and cook for 3 mints by keep on stirring. It ll become dry.
I flatten the poli in hand by applying oil. If you feel its tough then apply the oil in rolling pan and go for it.
The puranam balls should be bigger than dough for better taste. While flattening carefully do it without making the puranam to come out. If puranam comes out it ll be burnt while frying in dosa pan.
#paruppupoli #puranpoli #obattu #sweets #festivalitems #avaniavattamrecipes #bhogirecipes