COCONUT POLI / THENGAI POLI
Coconut poli / thengai poli is the popular and traditional south indian dessert . It is the flattened bread made of maida with the stuffing of the coconut and jaggery. This is made during festivals like varusa pirappu.avaniavattam and for bhogi. It is also famous in all sweets stalls in south India. It can be served hot with the topping of ghee.
The stuffing is made of coconut and jaggery which is used for kozhukattai. This stuffing can be made easily. Lets learn how to prepare this poli.
Preparation time : 30 mints | Cooking Time : 20 mints | Yields : 8 poli
Maida / All purpose flour - 1 Cup
Salt - Pinch
Gingelly Oil - 2 tablespoon
Turmeric - 1/4 tbspn
Grated Coconut - 1 Cup
Grated Jaggery - 1 Cup
Cardamom Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Ghee - 2 tbspn + for cooking poli
1. Take a mixing bowl. Add a cup of maida,turmeric,a pinch of salt,gingely oil and mix well. Add water little by little and knead it to a nice and soft dough. Knead the dough nicely for 5- 10 minutes.Let this dough rest aside for 2 hours .Now the dough is ready .Heat 2 tbspn of ghee in pan.
2. Add the grated coconut to the pan and saute for 2 mints . Then add the jaggery.
3. Mix both the jaggery and coconut well. And cook till the jaggery dissolves and both coconut and jaggery mix well. Now the puranam is all ready . Divide the dough and puranam into equal sized ball.
4. Take a plastic sheet or parchment paper or banana leaf. Grease the sheet with oil nicely so that after spreading poli, it would be easier for us to remove from the sheet and add it to the pan . Take a dough and keep it on the greasy sheet. Grease your fingers with oil and spread the dough ball to a small circle. Take a puranam ball and place it on the spread dough and bring all the edges and cover the filling and seal it nicely.
5. Again using your greasy fingers pat the dough and spread it carefully to make sure the filling is not coming out and spread it to a circle like a chapati. Heat a pan, slowly remove the spread out poli from the plastic sheet and add it to the pan. Add a teaspoon of ghee around the poli and cook the poli in medium flame till you see small bubbles and the bottom part is cooked.
6. Flip the poli and allow it to cook on the other side. Apply little more ghee and allow the poli to cook Remove the cooked poli from the pan and place it on a plate. In the same way make the remaining poli and cook them.
Coconut Poli is all ready to serve . Serve with ghee topping.
My Notes :
1.The kneading of dough more helps to spread the maida with filling nicely and also helps to get softer poli.
2. If you feel jaggery will have impurities. Boil the jaggery with 2 tbspn of water and dissolve the jaggery completely. Strain the jaggery syrup and add it to the roasted coconut and make puranam.
#thengaipoli #coconutpoli #polivarieties #sweets #festivalitems #bhogirecipes #avaniavattamrecipes