Black Sesame Seeds is also called as ellu in tamil. This Ladoo is made of blending the ellu and jaggery together . It is very popular in southern part of India.This is most healthy and rich in iron . It can be offered as neivedhiyam during vinayagar chathurthi. This can be very simple and made in very less time as no syrup making is needed for this ladoo. Lets look how to make this ellu urundai.
Preparation Time : 10 mints | Cooking Time : 10 mints | Makes : 15 urundai
Black Sesame Seeds - 1/2 cup
Jaggery - 3/4 cup
Cardamom - 1 tspn
1. Take black ellu(sesame seeds) and wash well thrice with water. Strain the water. Heat a pan to roast.
2. Once the pan is hot add the sesame seeds and keep the flame in low. Dry roast the ellu till it pops and nice aroma comes.Turn off the flame and cool it down. Add the roasted ellu in a blender and grind it once . Then add the jaggery and cardamom to it.
3. Add the roasted ellu in a blender and grind it once . Then add the jaggery and cardamom to it.
4. Grind it till the jaggery mix well. Transfer to a bowl and make it to balls. Make all the ladoo similarly.
Ellu urundai is ready..!!
My Notes :
1. Dry roast the ellu in low flame . Once the pop up stops and roasted smell comes . Then this is the indication of ellu roasted well. Dont make it burnt.
2. No need of adding ghee to make ladoo. Since the ellu has oil content in it. It helps in making ladoo.
3. You can add either roasted and coarsely powdered nuts or peanuts to it and make this ladoo. Its completely optional.