GREEN GRAM DAL CURRY / PACHAPAYARU GRAVY
Green gram dal is also called as green moong dal or pachapayaru. It is the healthy and nutritious gravy variety as the green gram dal is fiber rich and protein rich dal. This curry is very simple to make and can be accompanied with the pulao , plain rice or roti. Lets look at the method of making this gravy.
Preparation Time : 20 mints | Cooking Time : 30 mints | Serves : 3
Green Gram Dal / Green Moong Dal - 1/2 cup
Ginger - 1 inch
Garlic - 2 cloves
Green chili - 2
Onion - 1 large
Tomato - 2 small
Butter - 3 tbspn
Cumin seeds - 1 tbspn
Salt - to taste
Red chili powder - 1 tspn
Coriander powder - 2 tspn
Garam masala - 1/2 tspn
Turmeric - 1/2 tspn
Fresh cream - 2 tbspn ( optional )
Water - as required
1. Wash the gram dal and soak it for 6 hours. Then pressure cook it for three whistles. Grind the ginger,garlic and g.chili to a fine paste. Finely chop the onion and tomato. In a kadai heat the butter.
2. Once the butter is hot add the cumin seeds , allow it to pop. Then add the onions and cook till transparent. Then add the grinded paste and cook for 2 mints. Then add the tomatoes cook till soft. Add all the spice powders,turmeric and salt to it.
3. Mix well and cook till oil separates . Then add the cooked dal and water as required. Mix well and cook in medium flame for ten mints with stirring occasionally. Once its done and becomes think. Turn off the flame and add the fresh cream. Mix gently.
Serve the gravy along with roti or rice.
My Notes :
1. Instead of butter you can also use oil. But adding butter give you extra taste to gravy.
2. Adding fresh cream is completely optional.
3. If you want dal to be little mashy then keep one or two whistle extra.