Arisi upma is a most familiar tiffin variety that is made for breakfast or dinner in tamil brahmin families. This is made of arisi rava. This is very easy to make. Usually this upma is made in vengala panai with coconut oil in olden days. As day to day changes we make this nowadays with thick heavy bottom pan or pressure cooker.
This can be served along with chutney,sambar,kosthu or sugar. But usually we have buttermilk along with upma as it heavy. Lets learn the recipe of making this upma.
Here is the link to learn the steps to make Arisi Kurunai .
Prep Time: 15 mints | Cook time: 20 mints | Serves: 2
Arisi kurunai - 1 cup
Coconut oil - 3 tbspn
Mustard seeds - 1 tspn
Channa dal - 2 tspn
Red chili - 2
Curry leaves - few
hing - 1 tspn
Water - 3 cups
Salt - 1 tbspn
Grated coconut - 4 tbspn
1. Keep the arisi rava ready. In a pressure cooker heat the oil . Once hot add the mustard seeds allow it to pop . Then add the channa dal and turns golden.
2. Add the curry leaves , red chili , water , salt and hing. Once the water is heated add the grated coconut to it.
3. Bring it to boil then add the arisi rava slowly by keep on mixing without lumps . Then pressure cook it for three whistle in med to high flame. Then open the cooker once pressure subsides.
Now the arisi upma is ready to serve.
My Notes :
1. Using coconut oil gives the excellent flavor to this upma.
2. I added 3 cups of water as i need soft. If you want little dry add 2.5 cups of water.
3. If you fear in cook in pressure cooker. Then do it in open pan as usual upma. But once you mix rava cook in low flame by keeping covered.
4. If it get burnt at bottom also don't worry. Usually the kandhal(burnt one) will be tasty.