Chow Chow Kootu or Chayote Kootu is the side dish variety for the meals. It is made of chow chow , moong dal and coconut paste together. It is the healthiest dish with very minimum oil. This can also be had as a side dish for the roti. Lets look at the steps of making this.
Preparation Time:10 mints| Cooking Time : 20 mints|Severs: 3
Chow chow - 1 ( chopped)
Moong Dal - 1/4 cup
Coconut - 1/3 cup
Green Chili - 1
Whole Black Pepper - 1/4 tspn
Cumin Seeds - 1 tbspn
Oil - 1 tbspn
Mustard seeds - 1tspn
Curry leaves - 1 string
Urad dal - 1 tspn
Turmeric - 1 tspn
Water - as required
1. Wash the moong dal and soak for ten mints. Pressure cook it for 3 whistles along with turmeric. Mash the dal well and keep it ready.
2. Add the coconut , green chili , whole pepper and cumin seeds to blender and make it a fine paste.Then in a pan add the chow chow , water along with salt and turmeric.
3. Once the chow chow is cooked add the grinded paste and mix well. Add the required salt and turmeric. Bring it to boil.
4. Once its starts to boil add the mashed moong dal to it. Allow it to cook well.
5. Then prepare tadka with mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves and add to it. Mix well and turn off the flame.
Now the Kootu is ready to serve.
My Notes :
You can make this kootu by adding vegetables of your choice or with mixed vegetables.
Instead of moong dal you can also do it with toor dal.
I added pepper as its too blunt. Its completely optional. You can also avoid it.
I made the chow chow as little big pieces. If you want you can make as small pieces. Dont make it as marshy.