Kovakkai is also known as Tindora / Ivy gourd. This is also known as Dondakaya Pachadi. This is a popular thogayal variety in andhra which is made of tindora. It is perfect to be served with the hot steaming rice and ghee. The addition of onion,garlic and g.chili add nice flavor to this thogayal. Lets look at the method of making this thogayal.
Preparation Time : 20 mints | Cooking Time : 15 mints | Serves : 4
Oil - 3 tbspn
Tindora/Kovakkai - 12 - 15 nos Onion - 1 medium size Garlic cloves - 3
Channa dal - 1 tbspn
Urad dal - 1 tbspn Red chili - 1 Green chili - 1 Tamarind - a small piece Grated coconut - 2 tbspn Salt - as needed
Hing - 1/4 tspn
1. Wash and dry the kovakkai and chop it to circles. Heat tbspn of oil and add the chopped kovakkai and fry for about 10 minutes in medium flame. Remove from flame and keep it aside.
2. Again heat 1 tbspn of oil and add the urad dal,Channa dal,red chili and garlic. Saute them till the dals turn golden brown color. Remove from flame and keep it aside.
3. Add oil again and add onion and green chilies to it. Fry the onions till it turns translucent. Remove from flame.
4. Add all the fried items to the blender along with salt , hing and tamarind. Grind it well. Then add the grated coconut to it.
5. Give pulse in the mixer and grind the thuvayal to a coarse paste.
Kovakkai thogayal is ready to serve with hot rice...!!