BROKEN / CRACKED WHEAT SAKKARAI PONGAL
I wish you all a very HAPPY PONGAL. I am posting this sakkarai pongal recipe as the pongal festival is nearing.
Sakkarai Pongal is a special dish which is prepared during the famous South Indian festival Pongal. Its is prepared with rice and moong dal.Today, lets learn to make a healthy sakkarai pongal recipe with broken wheat instead of rice. Lets look at the steps to make this recipe.
Preparation Time : 10 mints | Cooking Time : 30 mints | Serves : 4
Wheat rava – 1/2 cup Jaggery – 3/4 cup Moong dal / Pasi paruppu – 2 tbspn Cardamom powder – 1 tspn Cashew nuts – 2 tbspn chopped
Raisins – 1 tbspn Ghee – 3 tbspn Water – 2 1/2 + 1/2 cups
1. Wash and pressure cook 2 tbspn of moong dal with 1/4 cup water for 4 whistle and keep it aside. Heat 2 tbspn of ghee and roast cashew nuts , raisins until golden.
2. In the same ghee, roast the wheat rava in medium flame for a minute. Remove the roasted wheat rava and add 21/2 cups to the pan bring to boil.
3. When starts boil add the rava and cook for a minute. Then add the cooked moong dal . Mix well and cook covered for 5 minutes.
4. In another vessel, boil 1/4 cup water and jaggery. Heat until jaggery completely gets dissolved. Also the rava is cooked well.
5. Add the jaggery to the cooked wheat rava by filtering it. Mix well. Once the jaggery gets absorbed well, add cashew nuts,raisins and cardamom. Mix well.
6. Add remaining ghee and mix well. Once the pongal leaves the sides of the pan, turn off the flame.
Broken wheat sweet pongal is ready to serve..!!
1. You can increase or decrease the quantity of jaggery as per your sweet level.
2. You can add edible camphor along with cardamom.