Kadamba Chutney is the simple and easy chutney variety that goes well with idli , dosa, upma and paniyaram. Kadamba means "mixture of" in Tamil. This chutney is the combo of onion,tomato,ginger,garlic,chilies,tamarind,coconut,mint and coriander leaves along with the roasted urad dal.
This is my moms recipe and we usually do this chutney along with paniyaram. Lets look at the steps to make this recipe.
Preparation Time : 10 mints | Cooking time: 10 mints | Serves: 4
Oil – 2 tbspn
Urad dal – 2 tbspn
Onion – 1/2 cup chopped
Tomato – 1/3 cup chopped
Garlic – 2 tbspn chopped
Ginger – 1 tbspn chopped
Green chili – 1
Red chili – 1
Tamarind – 1 inch piece
Coriander leaves – 3 tbspn chopped
Mint leaves – 3 tbspn chopped
Coconut – 1/4 cup grated
Salt – As needed
To temper :
Oil – 2 tspn
Mustard – 1 tspn
Urad dal – 2 tspn
Red Chili – 1
Curry Leaves – few
1. Heat the kadai with 2 tbspn of oil. Add the urad dal,g.chili,r,chili and tamarind. Saute for a min then add the ginger and garlic. Saute till the dal turns golden.
2. Add onion and cook till it turns pink. Then add tomato, mint, coriander leaves.
3. Cook until tomato turns soft. Then add coconut and fry for a minute. Allow it to cool down. Then add it to the blender along with salt.
4. Grind it to a smooth paste by adding required water. Heat 2 tspn of oil in kadai and temper with the mustard,urad dal,red chili and curry leaves. Add it to the chutney.
Serve chutney with hot paniyaram....!!
My Notes :
1. If you don’t want to add coconut, you may skip that.
2. Adjust the spice according to your taste.