I am very much excited to share this recipe today,the reason being it’s my first blog anniversary today.I started this wonderful blogging journey a year back and here comes my 1st blog anniversary post with a traditional sweet.
Ashoka halwa is a very famous sweet in Tanjore and Thiruvaiyar. This is one of the sweet which will be made for most of the special occasions and marriages. This halwa is also known as "Thiruvaiyar Halwa". This is the easy halwa variety which can be made quickly. Its made of moong dal,sugar and ghee. The addition of ghee gives the smooth texture to this halwa.
Lets look at the steps to make this traditional halwa.
Preparation Time: 5 Mints | Cooking Time: 30 mints | Serves: 6
Moong dal / Pasi paruppu – 1/2 cup
Wheat flour – 1/4 cup
Sugar – 1.25 cups Ghee – 1/2 cup + 1 tspn Cardamom powder – 1/4 tspn Cashew nuts – 5 chopped
1. Wash and soak the moong dal for 2 hours. Pressure cook it with 2 cups water and mash it really smooth. You can also grind it using mixer to get smooth.
2. In the pan, heat the 1/4 cup of ghee and once hot add the wheat flour on low heat and cook until you get the aroma of roasted wheat flour. Take care of not to burn it.
3. Once the raw smell goes and it forms bubbles. Add the cooked dal to it and mix well.
4. Add sugar, mash everything well and cook on medium low heat. Once you add sugar, the mixture will become watery. Add cardamom powder to it. Add tbspn of ghee little at a time.
5. Mix well until it gets incorporated with the moong dal sugar mixture and again add another tbspn and repeat until done with the ghee. Cook stirring continuously until the halwa starts to leave the sides of the pan.
6. In other pan heat 1 tspn of ghee and roast cashew nuts until golden brown. Add the cashews to the halwa and mix well. Once halwa consistency reaches, that is the ghee oozes out and becomes glossy, switch off the stove.
Delicious Ashoka halwa is ready..!!
My Notes :
1. If the dal is not mashed well, it will stay same in the halwa and wont be smooth.
2. Prefer to use samba wheat flour than the normal ones which gives very good flavor to the halwa.
3. Instead of wheat flour, you can also use Maida / All purpose flour.
4. Usually the food color will be added in halwa to get attractive color, but i didn't add it today.
#sweets #halwa #ashokahalwa #thiruvaiyarhalwa #festivalitems #diwalirecipes