RED CAPSICUM / BELL PEPPER CHUTNEY
Red Capsicum / Bell Pepper Chutney is a tasty and colorful side dish. It taste amazing with idli, dosa, upma varieties. It can also be used as a spread / dip for bread. Sometimes we would be bored of making regular chutneys that time this chutney is a best option. The roasting of capsicum well gives a nice flavor to the chutney. Lets look at the steps to make this chutney.
Preparation Time : 10 mints | Cooking Time : 15 mints | Serves : 4
Red Bell pepper - 1 chopped
Onion - 1/4 cup chopped
Tomato - 1/2 cup chopped
Channa dal - 3 tbspn
Oil - 3 tbspn
Red Chili - 3
Tamarind - small piece
For seasoning :
Oil - 1 tspn
Mustard Seeds - 1 tspn
Urad dal -1 tsp Curry leaves - few
Red Chili - 1 broken
1. Wash the capsicum, remove the seeds and chop them into small pieces. Heat oil in a pan/kadai, add the chopped capsicum and saute till it becomes soft and tender. Transfer the capsicum to the blender.
2. In the same pan, add channa dal, red chilies and tamarind. Saute until dal turns golden brown. Then add the onion and saute until it turns transparent. Then add the chopped tomatoes and mix well.
3. Cook till the tomatoes are soft and marshy. Switch off the flame and allow it to cool. Add it to the same blender along with salt and hing. Grind it to a smooth paste.
4. Transfer the chutney to the bowl. Heat a tspn of oil, add mustard seeds, when it splutters, add urad dal, curry leaves, red chili, saute for a few seconds and pour it over the chutney.
Serve delicious and tasty chutney with idly...!!
My Notes :
1. Roasting the capsicum separately is optional. You can even add it after tomatoes and cook well.
2. Sauteing the capsicum separately gives a nice flavor to this chutney.
3. Adjust the red chili and tamarind as per your taste.