Pineapple Rasam is a special variety of rasam which taste very different. I tasted this rasam in marriages for first time and liked this very much. The sweet and tangy flavor of this rasam is very delicious and the bites of pineapple gives additional taste. You can serve this with white rice and pappad. Today lets learn how to make pineapple rasam recipe.
Preparation Time: 10 mints | Cooking time: 15 mints | Serves: 4
Oil - 2 tspn Mustard - 1 tspn
Cumin seeds - 1 tspn Red chili - 2 Hing - 1 pinch
Pepper - 1 tspn Jeera - 1 tspn Garlic - 3 cloves
Pineapple rings - 5 Tomato - 2 Rasam powder - 1 tspn Turmeric - 1/8 tspn Toor dal - 1/4 cup Salt - As needed Curry leaves - 1 sprig Coriander leaves - 2 tbspn
1. Pressure cook toor dal with a pinch of turmeric powder and water until soft. Mash it and keep it aside. Add pepper, jeera and garlic to the blender and grind coarsely. Take 3 pineapple rings , chop the pineapple to bigger pieces and add it to the mixer. Grind the pineapple pieces to a fine paste.
2. Take 3/4 cup of water, add 1 tomato and nicely smash it. To it, add 1 cup of water, turmeric, ground coarse powder, ground pineapple paste and rasam powder, salt and hing. Mix it well and keep aside. Finely chop the rest of pineapple pieces and tomatoes and keep it ready. In a pan, add ghee and add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. when they starts to sputter, add broken red chili and curry leaves and saute it. Add the chopped pineapple and tomato pieces.
3. Saute it for 3 minutes in medium flame. Add the mixed tomato puree,juice and spices to the sauteed pineapple and tomato pieces. Cook for 5 mints till the raw smell goes and add the cooked dal and mix well. Add enough water to adjust its consistency. Top with chopped coriander leaves and cook till the rasam is about to boil and becames frothy, switch off the flame.
Tasty Pineapple Rasam is ready to serve..!!
My Notes :
1. Soak toor dal for 30 minutes in hot water, so that it will get cook well.
2. Tangy pineapple is suitable for this rasam.
3. If the pineapple is very sweet , you can add a tbspn of lemon juice after switching the flame.
4. Adding garlic is completely optional.