Tiffin Sambar is a perfect accompaniment / side dish for the tiffin items like idli , dosa , pongal , upma and uthappam varieties. This sambar also taste good for mini idli and sambar vada. It is also easy to make and tastes awesome.Adding shallots and curry powder gives extra flavor to this sambar. I have already posted hotel style sambar,arachuvitta sambar and pasiparuppu sambar. This is an other version of sambar. Lets look at the steps wise pictures to make this sambar.
Preparation Time : 10 mints | Cooking Time : 30 mints | Serves : 3 - 4
Oil / Ghee – 2 tbspn Mustard seeds – 1 tspn Jeera – 1 tspn Curry leaves – few
Red chili - 1 Hing – 1/4 tspn
Split Yellow Moong Dal / Pasiparuppu – 1/3 cup Small Onion / Shallots – 10 nos Tomato – 1 chopped Carrot – 1 small chopped Tamarind pulp – 2 tbspn ( thin ) Jaggery – 1 tspn (optional) Coriander leaves – few chopped Salt – to taste
Kari Podi / Arachu vitta podi - 1 tspn
Water - as required
1. Mix the kari podi with little water without any lumps. Wash and soak the moong dal for 30 mints . Pressure cook with enough water along with chopped tomato and carrot for 4-5 whistles until its mushy.
2. Smash it well with a laddle, and bring it to boil. In a separate pan heat the oil , add mustard and cumin seeds. Allow it to pop then add the curry leaves,red chili,hing and shallots and saute till turns pink. When the dal starts to boil add the tamarind extract , tempering and sauteed shallots to it. Mix well.
3. Boil for 3 -5 mints then add the kari podi mixed with water,salt and mix well. Add jaggery and allow the sambar to boil and thicken. Once it is thickened , add coriander leaves. Switch off the flame.
Serve and enjoy the sambar with hot idlis topped with ghee…!!
My Notes :
1. Instead of carrots you can add vegetables like potato , drumstick .
2. Adding tamarind is completely optional. Instead you can also increase the tomatoes.