Kovakkai(Tindora / Ivy Gourd ) fry is the simple poriyal variety that is best to serve with sambar,rasam,curd rice or even with variety rice. It taste as a perfect side dish for rice varieties and it can be made very quickly. It will be soft and crunchy. Lets look at the steps for making this simple kovakkai fry.
Preparation Time : 5 mints | Cooking Time : 20 mints | Serves : 2
Kovakkai / Tindora / Ivy gourd - 250 grams
Oil - 2 tbspn
Mustard seeds - 1 tspn
Red chili powder - 1 tspn
Coriander powder - 1/2 tspn
Turmeric powder -1/4 tspn
Salt - as required
1. Wash the kovakkai well and drain the water. Cut both the ends and discard it .Then cut it into thin rounds as shown. You may also quarter them lengthwise instead of circles. In pic 2 i showed both ripe red ones and the white ones. As the ripped ones gives bitter taste to the curry. So try to discard the ripe ones . But there is no harm in using it.
2. Heat oil, add mustard seeds, when it splutters, add kovakkai and mix well. Then add the turmeric powder.
3. Mix and cook covered for a few minutes. Do not add water , kovakkai should get cooked in the oil itself. So that we get a crunchy texture. Stir in between to avoid burnt.
4. Once the tindora is cooked add the chili powder, coriander powder , salt and cook in open on low flame for 3 mints. Once kovakkai becomes soft and tender, turn off the flame.
Serve the kovakkai fry for lunch.
My Notes :
1. Do not add water to kovakkai while cooking . It should be cooked in the oil itself. So that we get a crunchy texture.
2. Add garam masala if you like the flavor.
3. Cut the kovakkai either lengthwise or rounds. But make sure it should be thin. ELse it takes more time to cook.