Kollu is called as Horse gram in English. Kollu has lot of health benefits and its a suitable diet for reducing weight. We can use this and make thuvyal,rasam,podi,sundal etc.. We use the kollu cooked water and make the rasam . Also strained the kollu and add the tempering to make it as sundal. This kollu recipes i tasted for first time in my hostel and then am a big fan of it. Got this horse gram yesterday suddenly and thought of sharing in blog. Lets look at the recipe of making rasam.
Preparation Time : 20 mints | Cooking Time : 30 mints | Serves : 4
Horse gram/Kollu - 1/2 cup
Tamarind Extract - 1/4 cup ( thin )
Turmeric powder -1/4 tspn
Tomato - 1 large chopped
Whole black pepper/Milagu -1 tspn
Cumin seeds/ jeera -1 tspn
Garlic Cloves - 3
Curry leaves - few
Coriander leaves - few chopped
Salt - as needed
For Tempering :
Ghee - 1 tspn
Mustard seeds - 1 tspn
Cumin seeds - 1 tspn
Red Chili -1
Curry leaves -few
1. Wash and soak kollu (horse gram) overnight or minimum 8 hours with enough water. Pressure cook with 1 - 2 cups of water for 5 or 6 whistles. Drain the water from cooked kollu and set it aside.
2. Grind pepper, cumin and garlic coarsely using blender. Take a vessel, add tamarind extract, turmeric powder, grounded coarse powder,chopped tomatoes, curry leaves and salt as required . Take 2 tbspn of horse gram and grind it to a coarse powder. Mix it to the strained liquid. We are going to use this water for making rasam. Reserve the remaining kollu for making KOLLU SUNDAL .
3. Boil them on a medium flame till the raw smell of the tamarind goes. Then add the liquid we had kept aside and cook in low flame. When froth starts forming at the surface,add coriander leaves and switch off the rasam. Heat the ghee, add mustard and cumin seeds, when it splutters, add red chili, curry leaves and pour it over the rasam.
Hot Rasam is ready to serve..!!
My Notes :
1. Instead of grinding you can crush pepper,cumin and garlic with pestle.
2. Instead of grinding the kollu coarsely you can also grind it as smooth paste with little water.