Carrot Almond kheer is a delicious payasam variety which is very simple and easy to make. This is very healthy and nutritious one. This is made of carrot,almonds,sugar and milk . The addition of almonds and saffron to the kheer enhance the flavors. This can be served either hot or chill. Lets look at the steps of making this kheer.
Preparation Time : 10 mints | Cooking Time : 20 mints | Serves : 2
Carrot – 1 cup heaped (grated) / 2 medium sized
Almonds - 15 nos
Milk – 1.5 cups + 3 tbspn
Sugar – 4 - 5 tbspn
Ghee – 2 tbspn
Cashew – 2 tbspn ( broken )
Saffron – few strands
Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp (optional)
1. Wash the carrots, cut the edges and peel of the skin. Grate the carrots using a fine grater. Soak the saffron in 3 tbsp of warm milk.
2. Soak the almonds in warm water for 1/2 an hour. Remove the skin of almonds. Grind almonds and cardamom powder together coarsely.
3. Add the saffron soaked milk to the almond cardamom powder and grind it to a fine paste. In a pan heat ghee add broken cashews and fry till golden brown.
4. Remove the cashews and fry the carrots with the remaining ghee until the raw smell goes. Then add milk and let it to boil in low flame.
5. Mix well and let it cook until carrots are soft. Stir in between and remove the milk subsides that settle on sides and add it to milk again. Once carrots are cooked add sugar.
6. Cook for 5mints and let the sugar dissolves completely. Then add the roasted cashews to the kheer and turn off the flame once it thickens.
Serve the kheer either hot or cold...!!
My Notes :
1. You can also grind the sauteed carrots and add it to the milk .
2. You can add the condensed milk or fresh cream to the kheer. This helps to enhance the richness.