LEMON RASAM / ELUMICHAI RASAM
Lemon ( elumichai in tamil ) rasam is a south indian rasam variety that is a perfect accompaniment for rice. It is a protein rich rasam variety made of toor dal,tomato . It is slightly different from our usual rasam. This is made without tamarind , instead we use lemon for the tangy flavor. Also adding of g.chili and ginger had a extra flavor to this rasam. As this rasam is less spicy its best to accompany with a spicy poriyal with it. Lets quickly look at the preparation of making this rasam.
Preparation Time : 10 mints | Cooking Time : 25 mints | Serves : 2
Toor Dal - 1/4 cup
Water - as required
Tomato - 1 ( finely chopped )
G.Chili - 2 stilted
Ginger - 1 tbspn ( finely chopped )
Curry leaves - few ( chopped )
Turmeric - 1 tspn
Salt - 1 tbspn
Hing - 1 tspn
Rasam Powder - 1 tspn
Coriander leaves - few chopped
Lemon - 1 ( extract the juice before using )
Oil - 1 tspn
Cumin seeds - 1 tspn
Mustard seeds - 1 tspn
1. Wash and soak the dal for 30 mints . Pressure cook it for 4 whistles with 1/4 tspn of turmeric and 1/4 cup of water.
2. Once cooked mash the dal well with the beater or masher. In a pan add the silted g.chili & chopped ginger,tomato, curry leaves together with 1/4 cup of water and bring it to boil.
3. Once the tomatoes are soft add the mashed dal and required water. Adjust the consistency and mix well. Add the salt,hing,rasam powder and cook till it becomes frothy.
4. When the froth starts forming on top of the rasam add chopped coriander leaves and remove from flame . Temper it with oil,mustard and cumin seeds and add to rasam . Allow the rasam to cool off and then add the lemon juice extract. Adjust the lemon juice for your taste. I used juice of one full lemon.
Lemon rasam is ready to serve.
My Notes :
1. This rasam should be little thick than the usual rasam.
2. Allow the rasam to cool off and then add the lemon juice extract. Dont add while its hot else it gives a bitter taste.
3. Always add the fresh lemon juice for the better taste.