Karupatti / pana vellam is called as palm jaggery . This is most healthy and it can be used as sweetener for the coffee and tea without milk. Today lets use this karupatti and prepare the kozhukattai. Kozhukattai is a traditional neivedhyam dish made of jaggery which we do for Vinayakar Chaturti.This pidi kozhukattai variety is very simple to make and delicious. Today lets learn how to make this kozhukattai with karupatti.
Preparation Time : 20 mints | Cooking Time : 30 mints| Yields : 10-15
Raw Rice - 1/2 cup or Rice Flour - 3/4 cup
Palm Jaggery / Karupatti - 3/4 cup
Grated Coconut - 3 tbspn
Cardamom - 1 tspn
Water - 1 cup
Ghee - 1 tbspn + Greasing
1. Rinse the raw rice in water couple of times. Then add fresh water to the raw rice to soak them well and leave the raw rice to get soaked for two hours. After that, drain the water from rice and spread it in a clean white towel to get it dried. It could take 20 minutes to get dried.
2. Add the rice immediately to the blender. Grind the rice in the mixer to a nice powder. Sieve it couple of time to get a smooth rice flour.
3. Then roast that rice flour in medium flame until you get a sandy texture. There should not be any moisture in the flour.
4. Sieve the flour once again to avoid lumps. Take the karupatti and break it into small lumps. If you keep the karupatti in microwave for 30 seconds it helps to break easily.
5. Add the palm jaggery and water together in a kadai. Allow it to boil and dissolve the palm jaggery completely.Then strain to remove impurities.
6. Heat up the palm jaggery syrup in a pan, add cardamom powder, grated coconut. Allow it to boil.
7. Once it starts to bubble add the rice flour in a sprinkled way, stirring continuously to avoid lumps. Once it gets together leaving the sides add the ghee .
8. Mix well once its forms like a ball. Switch off and transfer to a plate. Set aside and cool completely. Once cool down it will be like chapati dough.
9. Grease your hands with oil. Take a medium sized cylindrical ball and press it to bring an oblong shaped dumplings as shown in the picture.
10. Repeat the same until the entire dough finishes off.Arrange in oil greased idli plates and steam it for 10mins.
Karupatti kozhukattai is ready to serve.
My Notes :
1. Instead of palm jaggery you can also make this kozhukattai with jaggery or mix of both.
2. You can also add chopped coconut instead of grated one.
3. You can also make using store bought rice flour. If you use the store bought flour water level may be varied.
4. If you keep the karupatti in microwave for 30 seconds it helps to break easily.
5. Once the dough cooled and cover it with cloth till you make kozhukattai to avoid dryness.