Capsicum is also called as kudamilagai in tamil. This chutney is made of green capsicum along with the onion and tomatoes. This is a different type of chutney that can be had along with tiffin items like idli,dosa varieties. As we usually make chutney with coconut so this is a new variety of chutney.
Lets learn the steps of making this chutney variety.
Preparation Time : 10 mints | Cooking Time : 20 mints | Serves : 3
Green Capsicum - 1 cup chopped
Onion - 1/2 cup chopped
Tomato - 1/4 cup chopped
Red Chili - 2
Channa dal - 2 tbspn
Urad dal - 2 tbspn
Tamarind - small piece
Salt - to taste
Hing - 1/4 tspn
Oil - 2 tbspn
To Seasoning :
Oil - 1 tbspn
Mustard seeds - 1 tspn
Urad dal - 1 tspn
Curry leaves - few
1. Chop the capsicum,onion and tomatoes evenly. In a pan heat oil add the channa dal , urad dal and red chili . Once the dal turns golden add the onions. Cook till it turns pink then add the capsicum.
2. Mix well the capsicum then add the tomatoes. Cook till its soft and marshy. Add the tamarind and give a gentle mix. Then turn off the stove. Once its cool down add the mixture to blender along with salt and hing.
3. Grind it to a fine paste. Heat the oil and temper it with mustard,urad dal and curry leaves. Add it to chutney and mix well.
Capsicum chutney is ready to serve with idlis.
My Notes :
1. If you like the flavor of jeera roast it along with dal and red chili and grind it.
2. Instead of onion you can also add shallots.