Sakkarai Pongal / Sweet Pongal is the most popular south indian sweet that are made during festivals or auspicious days. This is mainly made in India during the Pongal/Sankaranti festival . During the pongal festival it is made with the newly harvested rice and offered to god . This is very easy and simple to make. This is also given as a prasadam in many festivals.
This can be made as dessert for breakfast / Lunch varieties. The step wise method of making sakkarai pongal is as follows.
Preparation Time:10 mints| Cooking Time : 30 mints|Severs: 4
Raw rice - 1 cup
Moong dal - 6 tbspn
Water - 4.5 cups + 1/2 cup
Jaggery - 1.5 cups
Ghee - 2 tbsp + 1 tbsp
Cashew - 1 tbspn chopped
Raisins - 1 tbspn
Cardamom powder - 1 tbspn
1. Dry Roast the rice and moong dal separately in a kadai for two mints each. Then add both the rice & moong dal to pressure cooker along with 4.5 cups of water.
2. Pressure cook it for 3 whistles. Then mash it well with masher. Add the jaggery and 1/2 cup of water and bring it to boil.
3. When the jaggery dissolves completely and starts to boil . Remove from flame and filter it to remove dusts. Add the jaggery water to pan again along with cardamom powder. Mix it well.
4. When its starts boil add the mashed rice and dal. Mix well evenly.
5. Add the 2 tbspn of ghee and mix well. Then fry the cashew and raisins in a tbsp of ghee and add it to the sakkarai pongal.
Now the hot sakkarai pongal is ready to serve.
1. If you like the flavor of pachai karpooram then add a pinch along with cardamom powder.
2. Increase or decrease the amount of jaggery and ghee as per your taste.