CAPSICUM SAMBAR / KUDAMILAGAI SAMBAR
Sambar is a most popular dish in southern part of India. It is made of mix of vegetables and toor dal in gravy along with tamarind extract. This is the daily consumed one in the India. This can be had with rice and also tiffin items like idli and dosa. Today lets see the recipe of making the sambar with flavor of capsicum.
Preparation Time : 20 mints | Cooking Time : 30mints | Serves : 3
Oil - 3tbspn
Toor dal - 1/4 cup
Tamarind - small lemon size
Tomato - 1 small sized
Capsicum - 1
Channa dal - 1/2 tbspn
Coriander seeds - 1tbspn
Red chili - 2
Curry leaves - few
Coriander leaves - few
Mustard seeds - 1tbspn
Hing - 1 tspn
Turmeric - 1tspn
Sambar Powder - 1tbspn
Salt - 1tbspn
1. Soak toor dal for 30 mints Then pressure cook it with turmeric for 3 to 4 whistles. Mash well . Soak the tamarind for 15 mints and extract the tamarind juice.
2. Dry roast the chana dal, coriander seeds and red chili till golden brown. Then add it to the blender and make it a coarse powder.
3. In a kadai heat oil and add mustard seeds , curry leaves . After it pop add the capsicum and tomatoes saute well. Then add the tamarind juice,salt,hing,sambar powder and cook till raw smell goes.
4. After the raw smell goes add the toor dal and mix well. Allow it to cook for ten mints. Then add the grinded powder mix well. cook till it thickens . Add chopped coriander leaves.
Capsicum sambar is ready to serve with rice.
My Notes :
1. You can make this sambar by adding vegetables of your choice.
2. You can make the powder by dry roasting coriander seeds, chana dal and red chili in large quantity and store in air tight container and keep it handy.
3. You can also add few shallots before adding capsicum. It enhance the flavors of sambar.