TOMATO THOKKU /THAKKALI THOKKU
Tomato Thokku is a type of pickle made of tomatoes with spices. It is a most quickest and easiest home made pickle variety that goes well with idli,dosa,chapati also best with curd rice. It is a always available in home next to idli podi. This is best companion for tour or travel time.
Preparation Time : 10mints|Cooking Time : 25 mints
Tomato - 1kg (Roma tomatoes preferred)
Sesame Oil - 5 tbspn
Mustard seeds - 1 tbspn
Hing - 1tbspn
Salt - to taste
Red chili powder - 2 tbspn
Turmeric - 1 tspn
Jaggery - 1 tspn
Mustard seeds & Fenugreek seeds powder = 1/2 tbspn(crush both seeds equally using pestle or blender)
1. Wash and chop the tomatoes finely. Heat sesame oil in a nonstick pan and add mustard seeds. Allow to pop and add the hing, red chili powder.
2. Mix well . Then add the tomatoes . Cook for 3 mints. Then add salt,turmeric and mix well.
3. Cook for 10 mints till the tomatoes become soft. And while cooking tomato leaves more water. Then add jaggery and cook until thick.
4.Then cook for 5 more minutes it forms a thokku consistency by leaving sides and oil separates. Then add the fenugreek and mustard powder ( crush 1/4tspn of mustard and fenugreek in a pistol or blender) and add it. Mix well and Turn off the stove.
Tomato Thokku ready to serve. Store in a airtight container .
My Notes :
1. You can refrigerate this even for 10 days.
2. Instead of chopping and adding the tomatoes you can also grind the tomatoes and add it. But its splutters more than this way.
3. Adding mustard and fenugreek powder is optional,
4. If you like the flavor of garlic you can add crushed or finely chopped garlic before adding tomatoes. Cook garlic for 2 mints then add tomatoes.
5. Add curry leaves idf required.