Tindora / Ivy Gourd is also known as kovakkai in tamil. This is a simple and tasty rice variety made with tindora. This is perfect for the lunch box. It can be served with appalam or pappad. The freshly grounded masala gives nice flavor and taste to this recipe. Lets look at the method to make this kovakkai rice.
Preparation Time : 10 mints | Cooking Time : 25 mints | Serves : 4
Oil - 4 tspn
Sesame oil - 2 tbspn Mustard - 1 tspn Jeera - 1 tspn
Cinnamon - 1 inch
Cloves - 2
Star Annis - 1 Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Red chilies - 4 Channa dal - 1 tbspn Urad dal - 1 tspn Coriander seeds - 1 tspn Black Pepper - 1/2 tspn Sesame seeds - 1 tspn Grated coconut - 2 tbspn
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tspn
Onion - 1/4 cup
Ivy gourd/ Kovakkai/ Tindora - 15
Rice - 1 cup
Water - 11/2 cups Salt - As needed
1. Heat a pan with tspn of oil and roast the channa dal,urad dal,coriander seeds,sesame seeds,pepper,red chili until golden. Add the coconut to it and roast it till golden color. Cool down and powder it.
2. Wash and soak rice for 30 mints. Pressure cook the rice with 1 & 1/2 cups of water for 3 whistles in medium flame. Cool down with sesame oil sprinkled over. Heat 3 tspn of oil add the whole spices,mustard and cumin seeds. Allow it to pop then add the curry leaves and onion.
3. Add tindora, turmeric and mix well. Cook them covered in low flame for 5 - 8 minutes.
4. Once the tindora is cooked add the grinded spice powder and required salt to it. Mix them gently and evenly.
5. Cook for 3 mints and turn off the flame. Add the cooked rice and mix gently. Make sure masala is coated evenly.
Kovakkai Rice is ready to serve..!!