Onion chutney is a common and very simple chutney variety which is a great accompaniment to idli, dosa and upma. This chutney can be made quickly and adding the shallots make the chutney very flavorful. Lets look at the steps to make this chutney.
Preparation Time : 5 mints | Cooking time: 10 mints | Serves: 3
Oil - 2 tbspn
Mustard - 3/4 tspn Urad dal - 1 tspn Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Small onion / Shallots - 20 nos Red chilies - 2 nos Tamarind - small piece Salt - to taste
1. In a kadai , heat tbspn of oil add the peeled shallots,red chili and tamarind. Fry until golden then turn off the heat.
2. Cool down and grind with required water and salt to a smooth paste.
3. heat a tbspn of oil, add mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves. When mustard splutters, pour the seasoning over the chutney. Mix well and turn off the flame.
Chutney is ready to serve...!!
My Notes :
1. Instead of shallots you can also use big onion. Shallots makes the chutney tasty and flavorful.
2. Adjust red chilies according to your taste.