BABY POTATO / ALOO DUM BRIYANI
Baby Potato Dum Briyani is a tasty and spicy briyani which is always special in our menu. This is a special treat for the briyani and potato lovers. We all liked this briyani along with onion raita / plain curd / chips. This briyani is perfect for any special occasions like party , get together.
Tried this briyani with both pressure cooker and dum style. I loved the result of this dum style than the pressure cooker style. Lets look at the steps of making this briyani.
Preparation time : 10 mints | Cooking time : 20 mints | Serves : 3
Baby Potatoes (peeled, washed) – 15 nos
Basmati Rice – 3/4 Cup
Clarified Butter / Ghee – 2 Tbspn
Cinnamon stick – small piece
Green Cardamoms – 1 no
Cloves – 3 nos
Bay Leaf and Star Annis - 1 no
Cumin seeds - 1 tspn Onion (Sliced) – 1 big Green Chilies (slit) – 3 nos
Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 Tspn Mint (chopped) – 2 Tbspn
Cilantro (chopped) – 3 Tbspn
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tspn
Red Chili Powder – 1/2 tspn Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tspn Salt – 1 tspn Yogurt – 3 tbspn
Water – as required
1. Wash and soak basmati rice for 15 minutes. Bring 6 cups of water to a rolling boil along with cumin seeds. Add the soaked basmati rice without any water and required salt for rice. cook the rice till 80% done. This takes 5 mints on medium heat. Turn off the heat. Remove the rice to a plate using a colander and drain the excess water.
2. Wash and peel the baby potato. Keep them in a bowl of water to avoid discoloration. Use a wide pan with a tight lid. Heat it on medium flame then add butter. Saute the whole garam masala( Cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, bay leaf and star annis) and g.chili for a minute. Add the sliced onion, saute for a minute. Add ginger-garlic paste and cook till raw smell goes off. Then add the potatoes.
3. Add Turmeric Powder. Mix well and cover to cook for 10 mints. Meanwhile keep checking the potatoes. Mix well after every 2 mints. In this time, onions would be caramelized and potato will be cooked soft. Now add curd/yogurt, red chili powder and garam masala powder. Mix well. Mixture will become watery.So boil for 2 to 3 minutes in medium flame till it becomes semi gravy with little moisture in it.
4. Then spread the potato mixture in the kadai.If needed add little water to it. Layer the cooked basmati rice evenly over the potato gravy, chopped coriander leaves. Cover with a lid tightly and keep the flame very low. Put in dum for 10 minutes. Make sure you don’t burn the gravy. Open the lid after putting dum and mix the rice gently with a fork.
Baby Aloo Dum Briyani is ready to serve..!!
My Notes :
1. My small potatoes were small so I used fully. If you have larger ones just use them by halves.
2. This is a spicy version so adjust green chilies and red chili powder according to your spice level.
3. You can also use normal potatoes chopped into cubes too.