POONDU / GARLIC KUZHAMBU
Poondu kuzhambu is a traditional kuzhambu variety made in Tamil Nadu. This is a spicy and tasty kuzhambu made with garlic which is very good with hot steaming rice. It also taste excellent as a side dish for idli or uthappam. This stays fresh even for 5 days if refrigerated. Also garlic has many medicinal values and good for health. As the kuzhambu is made with gingely oil and the addition of shallots,garlic,jaggery with fresh grinded masala makes the kuzhambu very tasty. Lets look at the method of making this kuzhambu.
Preparation Time : 20 mints | Cooking Time : 40 mints | Serves : 4
Sesame oil – 2 tbsp Mustard seeds – 1/2 tspn Fenugreek seeds – little
Urad dal – 1 tspn Curry leaves – few
Garlic – 5 cloves halved
Shallots – 5 nod halved Tamarind – lemon sized ball Turmeric powder – little
Coriander powder – 1/2 tbspn Hing – a pinch Jaggery powder – 1/2 tbspn Salt – as required
To Roast & Grind :
Sesame oil – 2 tbsp
Jeera – 1/2 tspn Pepper corns – 1/2 tspn Curry leaves – few Shallots – 6 Garlic – 7 chopped cloves Tomato – 1 chopped
Sambar powder – 1 tbspn
1. Soak tamarind in hot water for 20 minutes.Then extract the juice and discard the pulp. Heat 2 tbspn of sesame oil, add cumin seeds and peppercorns when it splutters, add garlic,curry leaves. Saute for a min. Then add the shallots and tomatoes.
2. When the tomatoes are cooked well, add the kuzhambu milagai podi / sambar powder. Cook till its blend well. Allow it to cool and grind it with little water to form a thick paste and keep aside. In same pan heat sesame oil and add the mustard seeds,fenugreek seeds and urad dal. Let it splutter. Add peeled garlic,curry leaves and fry for a minute. Add shallots and saute for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add in the tamarind pulp, salt, asafoetida, turmeric. Mix well and add the ground Poondu Kuzhambu masala,coriander powder. Stir well and cook covered with a lid on a very low flame for 15 minutes. Add in the jaggery. When oil starts separating the perfect stage is reached.Switch off the flame.
Poondu Kuzhambu is ready to serve...!!
My Notes :
1. Use the sesame oil for better taste.
2. The amount of garlic and curry leaves can be added as per the taste.
3. Use the naattu poondu for better taste.