Paruppu Thogayal is the simple and authentic recipe which is made of toor dal and coconut along with the red chili. This is served with the hot steamed rice. The best combination is to serve this thogayal with rasam and appalam.
This is very easy to make and taste delicious. Lets look at the steps to make this authentic thogayal.
Preparation Time : 15 mints | Cooking Time : 10 mints | Serves : 4
Toor dal / Thuvaram paruppu - 1/2 cup
Bengal gram/kadalai paruppu - 1 tbspn
Whole black Pepper - 1/2 tspn
Red chilies - 2 large
Grated coconut - 2 tbspn
Hing - a pinch
Salt as needed
Oil - 1 tspn
1. Heat a tspn of oil, fry red chilies, toor dal, bengal gram, whole black pepper and saute in medium flame until dal turns golden brown.
2. Allow it to cool down completely. Then add it to the blender and grind it coarse powder.
3. Microwaved the coconut for 30 seconds. Add the hing , salt and coconut. Grind it with little water, to a coarse paste.
Paruppu thogayal is ready to serve with hot rice and ghee...!!
My Notes :
1. You can add 2 or 3 cloves of garlic while frying the dal if you like the flavor.
2. Adding coconut is optional.
3. I grinded the dal first then added coconut. Else the dal will not be grinded well.
4. I microwaved the coconut and added. Instead you can fry in pan for a minute and add it.
5. Carefully roast the dal without getting burnt else it will have a bitter taste.