VAZHAIPOO / BANANA FLOWER / PLANTAIN FLOWER PORIYAL
Vazhaipoo is also called as plantain flower/banana flower. This is the most healthy and fiber rich. The addition of onion and coconut gives nice flavor to this poriyal. It is best to serve as side dish for south indian lunch. It is good to have this regularly. As i already posted usili,kootu,vadai recipes with this. Today lets learn a quick and simple poriyal(stir fry) variety.
As cleaning is the major portion of doing this poriyal, you can clean,chop and put in buttermilk previous day itself. Then Use it next day for cooking. Here is the link to clean vazhaipoo / banana flower.
Preparation Time : 30 mints | Cooking Time : 25 mints | Serves : 3
Vazhaipoo / Banana Flower - 1
Oil - 2 tbspn
Mustard seeds - 1 tspn
Urad dal - 1 tspn
Red chili - 1
Curry leaves - few
Onion - 1/2 cup ( finely chopped )
Coconut - 3 tbspn
Hing - a pinch
Turmeric - 1/4 tspn
Salt - to taste
Water - as required
1. Clean and chop banana flower and keep it in buttermilk. Rinse and drain the buttermilk, add the vazhaipoo, water, salt , turmeric powder to the pressure cooker.
2. Pressure cook for 3 whistles until its cooked soft. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, when it splutters, add urad dal, red chili, hing, curry leaves and saute until dal turns golden brown. Then add the chopped onions.
3. Saute until onions turn transparent. Now drain the water completely from banana flower and add it to the pan. Mix well and saute for 5 minutes. Add grated coconut, mix well and switch off the flame.
Tasty and Healthy Vazhaipoo poriyal is ready to serve...!!
My Notes :
1. Add the water till the banana flower get immersed well.
2. Add the onions and coconut as per your taste. You can even skip adding onions and do this poriyal.