Spring onion sambar is the one which i recently tried and loved by my family. This sambar is similar to the toor dal sambar instead of vegetables used spring onion. This can be served along with hot steaming rice or with south indian tiffin items. This is very mild sambar and taste very yummy. Usally i use the spring onion for Chinese dishes. One of my friend said she makes poricha kuzhambu with this green onion. Then only started making this sambar and nowadays this is the regular sambar in our weekly menu. Lets look at the steps of making this sambar.
Preparation Time : 10 mints | Cooking Time : 30 mints | Serves : 4
Toor dal – 1/2 cup
Tamarind extract - 1/4 cup ( thin )
Spring onion - 1 Bunch
Tomatoes - 1 chopped
Salt - as required
Turmeric - 1/4 tspn
Sambar powder - 1 tbspn
Hing – a pinch
Oil - 2 tbspn
Mustard seeds– 1 tspn
Curry leaves – few chopped
Red chili - 1
1. Soak the tamarind in water and extract the juice. Soak toor dal for 30 minutes . Pressure cook the toor dal with required water and turmeric for 4 whistles . Once cool down mash the toor dal well and keep it aside.
2. Rinse onions under cool tap water and remove any sand particles. Discard the roots. Cut the onions and stem into 1/2 inch pieces. Finely chop the spring onion leaves and keep it aside.
3. Heat the oil in the pan. Once its hot add mustard, when it splutters, add red chili, curry leaves. Now add the chopped spring onion along with their stem and fry them for a minute. Add the tomatoes.
4. Add the tamarind extract, turmeric powder, sambar powder and mix well. Boil until the raw flavor of the tamarind goes and the onions are cooked.
5. Now add the cooked dal, salt , hing , spring onion leaves along with a the required amount of water. Mix well. Boil for a few minutes on medium flame and turn off the flame.
Serve the sambar with hot rice and stir fry vegetable..!!
My Notes :
1. Adding tomatoes is completely optional.
2. The sambar should neither be too thick nor too watery. Adjust the consistency accordingly.
3. Chop the spring onion size as you liked.
4. If you are using for tiffin add little amount of jaggery.