KARA CHUTNEY ( SPICY CHUTNEY )
Kara chutney is the most famous south indian chutney variety which is very easy to prepare and goes well with idli, dosa, uthappam, kuzhi paniyaram and appam. This chutney taste excellent with these tiffin items along with the mild spice sambar. Today we learn the method of making this kara chutney.
Preparation Time : 15 mints | Cooking Time : 20 mints | Serves : 2 - 3
Sesame oil – 4 tspn Mustard Seeds – 1 tspn Curry leaves – few chopped
Onion – 1 small sized ( chopped ) Tomato – 2 small roma tomato ( chopped ) Garlic – 3 cloves ( peeled and chopped )
Dry Red Chili – 3
Tamarind - 1 small piece Salt – to taste Water – as required
1. In a pan add a tspn of oil and roast the red chilies and tamarind. Soak roasted red chilies & tamarind in hot water.
2. In the same pan heat 2 tspn of oil add the garlic. Saute till garlic turns golden and add onion. Once onion turns transparent add the tomatoes.
3. Cook till the tomatoes mushy and raw small goes off completely. Allow it to cool down. Add the soaked chilies and tamarind to the blender by straining the water. Grind it to a smooth paste.
4. Then add the sauteed garlic , onion and tomatoes to the blender along with the salt. Use the strained water and grind it to a smooth paste. Transfer to a bowl.
5. In a same pan , heat tspn of oil add the mustard seeds let it splutter. Then add the curry leaves and allow it to sizzles. Then add the tempering to the chutney and mix well.
Serve chutney with idli..!!
My Notes :
1. Add the red chilies as per the spices you needed.
2. Soaking the tamarind and red chilies , helps to get dark color and grind smooth .
3. Sesame oil gives the better taste to this chutney.