GREEN PEAS PULAO / MATAR PULAO
Green Peas / Matar Pulao is a most simple one pot meal that can be made in very less time. This is a perfect rice variety that is most suitable for lunch box. This pulao can be served along with kurma or raita. Lets look at the method of making of making this pulao.
Preparation Time : 15 mints | Cooking Time : 20 mints | Serves : 2
Oil – 2 tbspn Ghee – 2 tbspn Cumin seeds – 1 tspn Bay leaf – 1 Cinnamon – 1 inch piece Cloves – 3 Star Anise - 1
Green chili - 2
Onion - 1/2 cup chopped lengthwise
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tspn
Mint leaves - 2 tspn chopped
Coriander leaves - 2 tspn chopped
Basmati rice - 1 cup
Dried peas - 1/3 cup
Water - 2 cups
Salt - to taste
1. Wash and soak basmati rice for 20 minutes. Drain the water completely and keep it aside. Soak the dried peas for 8 hrs or over night. Heat oil and ghee in a pressure pan.
2. Once the oil is hot add cumin seeds,cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf and star anise. Then add the chopped mint leaves, coriander leaves and green chilies saute for a minute . Then add sliced onions.
3. Saute till onions turn light brown. Add ginger garlic paste and saute for a few more minutes. Add peas and rice.
4. Give a quick stir . Add water and required salt . Mix well and pressure cook for 2 or 3 whistles. Once pressure releases , open and mix the rice gently.
Serve the peas pulao with kurma or raita.
My Notes :
1. I used dried peas today. You can also use fresh peas or frozen peas.
2. Instead of basmati rice you can also use plain rice.