Kollu is called as Horse gram in English. Kollu has lot of health benefits and its a suitable diet for reducing weight. We can use this and make thuvyal,rasam,podi,sundal etc.. We use the kollu cooked water and make the rasam . Also strained the kollu and add the tempering to make it as sundal. This kollu recipes i tasted for first time in my hostel and then am a big fan of it. Got this horse gram yesterday suddenly and thought of sharing in blog. Lets quickly look at the recipe of making the sundal.
Preparation Time : 20 mints | Cooking Time : 30 mints | Serves : 4
Horse gram / Kollu - 1/2 cup
Grated coconut - 3 tbspn
Shallots - 1/4 cup chopped Salt - as needed Oil - 2 tspn
Mustard seeds -1 tspn
Urad dal - 1 tspn Hing - 1/4 tspn Red chili - 1 Curry leaves - few
1. Wash and soak kollu (horse gram) overnight or minimum 8 hours with enough water. Pressure cook with 1 - 2 cups of water for 5 or 6 whistles. Drain the water from cooked kollu and set it aside. You can use that water to make KOLLU RASAM.
2. Take the drained kollu and set aside. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, when it splutters, add urad dal and red chili .
3. Once it turns golden add the curry leaves and shallots . Cook till shallots turns golden then add the cooked horse gram, salt needed , hing and mix well. Then add grated coconut, mix and turn off the heat.
Serve the sundal along with kollu rasam..!!
My Notes :
1. Adding shallots is optional .
2. Add the red chili as per your taste.