Kathrikkai / Brinjal Gosthu is a perfect side dish for the idli,pongal or upma kozhukattai. This is most popular dish in Tamilnadu. This gosthu is made differently in each region . Today i thought of sharing this gosthu recipe which i learnt from my mil and its very easy to make. It taste so delicious and no spice powder is needed for this recipe. Lets look at the procedure of making this kosthu.
Preparation Time : 15 mints | Cooking Time : 30 mints | Serves : 4
Brinjal - 4 small nos. ( finely chopped and immerse in water )
Moong dal / Pasiparuppu - 1/4 cup
Onion - 1/2 cup finely chopped
Tomato - 3/4 cup finely chopped
G.chili - 2
Oil - 3 tbspn
Mustard seeds - 1 tspn
Cumin seeds - 1 tspn
Curry leaves - few
Turmeric - 1/4 tspn
Salt - 1 tbspn
Hing - 1/4 tspn
Water - as required
Coriander leaves - few chopped
1. Wash the moong dal and soak in water for 15 mints. Then pressure cook it for 3 whistles with a pinch of turmeric .
2. Mash the cooked moong dal well. In a pan heat the oil. Once the oil is hot add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Allow it to pop. Then add the g.chili and curry leaves.
3. Add the chopped onion and cook till it turns transparent. Then add the chopped tomatoes, turmeric and hing.
4. Mix well and cook till the tomatoes are soft. Then add the chopped brinjals by straining the water. Mix well and add 1/2 cup of water and allow it to cook.
5. Once the brinjals are cooked add the moong dal,salt and required water. Mix well and cook for 5 mints. Then add the chopped coriander leaves and turn off the stove.
Serve the hot kathrikkai gosthu..!!
My Notes :
1. Adjust the amount of water as per the consistency you required. I make it slightly water to have with pongal.
2. Increase the g.chili if you need more spicy.
3. Soak the chopped brinjal in water to avoid decoloration.
#brinjalrecipes #kathrikkaikosthu #kosthu #gosthu #brinjalkosthu #sambarfortiffin #pongalgosthu