Vazhaipoo Kootu is the traditional south indian kootu/gravy variety that is made of vazhaipoo or plantain flower. It can be served along with the hot steamed rice. You can also make usili or poriyal or vadai using this plantain flower. This is very tasty and delicious as we make this kootu with the freshly grinded masala. Lets look at the steps of making this kootu.
Preparation Time : 30 mints | Cooking Time : 30 mints |Serves: 3 - 4
Plantain Flower / Vazhaipoo - 1 cup (chopped)
Channa dal - 2 tbspn
Toor dal - 4 tbspn
Tamarind extract - 1/2 cup
Salt - as required
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tbsp
Oil - 1 tbspn
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves - few
Hing - a pinch
Thin Buttermilk - to soak vazhaipoo
To roast and grind :
Coriander seeds - 1 tbspn
Channa dal - 1/2 tbspn
Grated Coconut - 2 tbspn
Cumin seeds - 1/4 tbspn
Red chili - 3
1. Soak the tamarind in 1/2 cup of water and extract the juice. Cut the vazhaipoo and soak it in butter milk. Soak the toor dal and channa dal for 30 minutes. Then pressure cook it with little turmeric till its soft. The channa dal will not be completely marshy it will be little crunchy.
2. Roast the coriander seeds,cumin,channa dal and red chili till golden without adding oil. Then add the coconut and mix well. Remove from flame and allow it to cool down. Grind it to a fine paste. In a pan add the vazhaipoo by draining buttermilk water and add turmeric powder, salt and asafoetida. Add the tamarind extract to this and mix well. Allow the vazhaipoo to cook completely.
3. Then add the cooked dal and mix well. Then add the grinded paste and adjust water as per your required consistency. Allow it to cook well. Switch off the flame. Temper with mustard seeds and curry leaves and add it to kootu and mix well.
Vazhaipoo Kootu is ready to serve.
My Notes :
1. Click this page to learn how to clean vazhaipoo.
2. You can also dry roast 2 tbspn of coconut till golden and add it to the kootu.
3. As we pressure cook channa dal and toor dal together, channa dal will not be cooked completely. The half cooked channa dal will be crunchy.
4. If needed cook both the dal seperately till mashy and add it.