KATHRIKAI MURUNGAKAI MANGAI SAMBAR
Sambar is the most popular and traditional dish in southern part of India. It can be served with hot steaming rice or with tiffin items like idli,dosa,pongal etc.. It is made of mix of vegetables and toor dal in gravy along with tamarind extract. This is the daily consumed one in the India.
I already posted some sambar varieties. But this sambar with three vegetables will taste heaven and best to have it with rice. This is one of my favorite sambar which i do often. Three vegetables used in this sambar are brinjal,drumstick and raw mango. Today lets see the recipe of making this sambar.
Preparation Time:20 mints|Cooking Time:30mints|serves:3
Oil - 2 tbspn
Toor dal - 1/4 cup
Tamarind Extract - 1/4 cup
Raw Manga - 8 cubed pieces
Drumstick - 5 pieces ( i used frozen)
Brinjal - 2 sliced
Curry leaves - few
Coriander leaves - few
turmeric - 1tspn
Sambar Powder - 1tbspn
Salt - 1tbspn
Channa dal - 1/2 tbspn
Coriander seeds - 1tbspn
Red chili - 2
Mustard seeds - 1tbspn
Urad dal - 1 tspn
Red chili - 1
Hing - 1 tspn
Water - as required
1. Soak toor dal for half an hour. Then pressure cook it with turmeric for 3 to 4 whistles. Mash well .
2. Dry roast the chana dal, coriander seeds and red chili till golden brown. Then add it to the blender and make it a coarse powder. In a kadai add the drumstick and brinjal with turmeric & 1/4 cup of water. Bring it to boil.
3. Once the vegetables are 3/4 th cooked add the tamarind juice,hing,sambar powder and Mix well. Cook for 5 mints. Then add the chopped mangoes.
4. Cook till the raw smell goes and vegetables are cooked completely. Also it should not be marshy. Add the toor dal and mix well. Allow it to cook for ten mints. Then add the grinded powder , salt & mix well. Cook for few mints .
5. Once the sambar thickens and raw smell goes . Turn off the flame then add chopped coriander leaves. Heat oil and temper it with mustard seeds,urad dal,curry leaves & red chili. Add the tempering to sambar.
Serve the hot sambar with steamed rice.
My Notes :
1. You can make the powder by dry roasting coriander seeds, chana dal and red chili in large quantity and store in air tight container and keep it handy.
2. You can also add few shallots chopped along with tempering to enhance the flavors of sambar.
3. Make sure vegetables are cooked completely and also it should not be marshy. Since i added frozen drumstick i boiled along with brinjal. If you are using fresh then pressure cook it separately or with toor dal and add it.
4. I added mango with skin. If you add the peeled mangoes along with dal.