Ragi is also called as finger-millet. This ragi adai can be made either sweet or savory version. This can be usually had as a breakfast and this is most healthy tiffin variety. Sweet adai is made of jaggery and banana. Savory version can be made with chili and onion. Even we can add grated vegetables to the savory version.Savory version can be servers with chutney or sugar. Today lets see the recipe of making the savory version.
Preparation Time : 15 mints | Cooking Time : 45 mints | Makes : 8 adai
Ragi / Finger Millet - 2 cups
Shallots / Small Onion - 1/2 cup finely chopped
Oil - 2 tspn + for making roti
Green Chili - 1 chopped
Curry Leaves - few finely chopped
Coriander leaves - few finely chopped
Salt - to taste
Water - as required
1. In a pan heat 2 tspn of oil add the g.chili,curry leaves. Add the chopped shallots and cooking till it turns pink. Then add the coriander leaves and mix well. Turn off the flame and allow it to cool down completely.
2. In a bowl add the ragi and salt mix well. Then add the cool down mixture. Add water little by little and make a roti dough. Then make into a roti dough. Divide it to a equal sized balls. Take a ball and flatten it to a roti by hand by dipping hands in oil or water. Use banana leaf or plastic covers or parchment paper to flatten it.
3. Put it to the dosa tawa and cook both sides by adding oil. While cooking cover with lid and cook so that it wont form white layers on roti. Once done remove from tawa. Repeat the process for making all roti.
Ragi adai is ready to serve.
My Notes :
1. You can also add big onions instead of shallots. But adding shallots give you a better taste.
2. You can also add the grated carrots,cabbage along with onion saute and add it to flour.
3. Instead of vegetables you can also add drumstick leaves along with onion saute and add it to flour.
4. Use banana leaf or plastic covers or parchment paper to flatten the roti.
5. You can flatten the roti by hands by dipping hands in oil or water. But i prefer to flatten by dipping with water.
6. While cooking roti cover with lid and cook so that it wont form white layers on roti.
7. You can also add channa dal before onions to fry golden and add to the flour. It gives nice crunchy feel.